Books Read in 2011

Tessa's books-read-2011 book montage

Clockwork Angel
The Hunger Games
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer


Books Read in 2011 »

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Woah There Stranger!

Image

I know, I know, it's been aaaaages since I posted, but I've been going through a lot lately. At least school will be out in two weeks, so I should be returning to the blogsphere soon! 

I've managed to do some writing and my "Secret File" (haven't chosen a name yet) is almost completed. The goal was 50,000 words and I'm only 48 words away from that goal, but I still have two chapters to write so it'll be a little longer. Maybe 55,000 words, which is fine for a romance novel. What I'm so proud of in this manuscript is that it's packed with voice! I've never written something with so much voice before. Yay for progressing ^.^

But yeah, I'm genre hopping! So far I've been set on YA, but then I finished an MG manuscript, and now I'm into adult romance. I don't know where I land but I suppose there's nothing that forces me to stick to just one genre. There are always pen names ^.^

I was planning on publishing this Secret File on Amazon for $2.99, but my buddy Rachael Harrie has been encouraging me to query. I suppose I have nothing to lose by doing that first. 

I've also been stuck by a huge decision: to write in English or Icelandic. I always write much more fluently in English and I'd like to publish my work in English, but the Icelandic market is sooooo much easier to break into. So I've come to the decision to try to publish at least one Icelandic and one English book every year (self-publish via Amazon or through a publisher if I get lucky) and a load has been hurled off my shoulder after that decision. 

Of course I'll write a lot more, because writing a first manuscript really doesn't take that long, but I think it's better to be modest to begin with. Besides, not everything I'll write will be publishable (yeah right! No, seriously...). 

Anyone else with such robust ambition? ^.^

16 comments:

  1. You should write more than your target so you can edit some of it out later. Figure at least 10%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so busy with so much to think about. How great you can translate your own books. Good luck!

    Right now I'm trying to finish my latest YA fantasy. It's 49k words. I thought I'd finish at 50 (like you), but now I think it may be closer to 59k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that you have two languages to write in, and two markets to try to sell in. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missed you! And good for you on the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you guys! I seriously thought people weren't reading this blog ^.^

    Rogue: Yup, that's what Stephen King advices as well. He actually makes it his business to cut at least that much for every book, so it's probably a good thing for me to write 55,000 words :D

    Theresa: It's great to be so far in your manuscript, isn't it? 49,000 is so much better than 7,000 ^.^ I love that feeling.

    Catherine: Thanks so much. Having two languages to write in has been a bit of a struggle (deciding on which to write in), but yeah, it really is an advantage.

    Megan, William, and Lorelei: Missed you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart idea waiting to query. I'm doing that as well. I plan to send my queries out by the end of this week. Good luck. If your voice is as powerful as you say, I'm sure you'll do fine. :-)

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooohooooo! That's such great news :) And I love what @Catherine said - you get to double your chances - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute photo, and good luck with querying!

    I'm starting up a 'Critiquing Crusaders' program, where participants in the Second Crusade can find other writers to exchange critiques with or form critiquing circles. If you're interested, come by The Kelworth Files to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go you, sounds like you've been rockin' this one :D And yep, definitely nothing to lose by querying first :)

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, query first. See where that takes you. I say shoot for the stars! You never know unless you try! And other such cliches that are completely true. :)

    It's such a great feeling to finish a manuscript. Now, have you edited it yet? Definitely go through the whole book with an editing eye, then write the synopsis, then the query. As you send out the queries and wait for responses, go back over your book with a fine-toothed comb.

    I say this because I thought when you query agents you wait months to hear back from them so I queried after my first edit, but before I wrote the synopsis. So when an agent asked for my full with a synopsis the day she got my query, I freaked out.

    Definitely keep us posted on your progress. It's so exciting to me to watch others walk the road to publication. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the synopsis tip. I have half a chapter to write and then this one is finished. I plan to let it simmer for a month before I edit it although it's sooo tempting to start editing right away.

    I planned to dive back into my YA while I let this manuscript sit...buuuut I've sort of come up with a story idea (plot, snippets of conversations, character creations, etc) for an independent book from the one I'm writing now. I feel that maybe I should write it because the voices from the manuscript I'm finishing now are still so fresh in my head (I'm using three of the same characters).

    I guess the thing is that because I'm re-writing my YA it seems like such a huge task whereas writing that independent sequel is nothing but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, query first! It can't hurt any.

    Btw, I have an award for you all at my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Nicole ^.^ You're too sweet and I'm honored.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWWW SO CUTE!!! You have a fabulous blog! I'm your newest follower. I want to award you with one of my homemade awards: Powerful Woman Writer Award for all the hard work you do!

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete