This morning I continued making the adjustments, but the whole time I didn't feel very good about it. It just felt wrong. So I decided to listen to my instincts and checked out the beginning of the original chapter two and then it came to me; I could make chapter two into chapter one and drop tiny little details here and there to make it work. And it did work! The chapter starts with action and I'm able to introduce all character fluently and the story just begins without any long musings or backstory. This way I also get to keep that extra plot that I intended to delete. I just felt that the story wasn't interesting enough after taking it out. It just wasn't the story I wrote and loved.
--> Listen to your gut on how you want your story to be.
--> If the first chapter is not very interesting, see if you can make the second chapter into your first and adjust it a little.
Fortunately I'd saved the manuscript under a different name before making yesterdays changes. If I hadn't, the whole two chapters would be gone.
--> Always save your manuscript under a different name before making major changes.
I'm feeling so much better now that I'm actually smiling. I'm looking forward to the querying process again, knowing that the examples I'll send will be more captivating than they were.
Task for today: Continue reading the original manuscript to check for minor mistakes. Send the full profile to have it proofread.
Have a great day!